I realised today that the baby really isn’t far away, we are now at 27 weeks. Technically there is still a couple of months to go but there is no guarantee that the baby won’t come early. If she did, are we prepared? No!
- The furniture in the nursery is not put together.
- We have no birthing plan.
- I don’t know how to get to the hospital.
- We have no car seat to bring the baby home.
- And we have no bags packed.
In order to get some sense of order I thought I’d put together my hospital bag. Rambo has a list for her bag and there are so many resources available on the net to help her decide what to pack. There are not as many for Dads.
Below is my survival bag for labour and delivery and one more appropriate for Dads!
- Snack – I tend to get very grumpy when hungry. And as I’m told, the birth is not about me so I better be on best form.
- Loose Change – Always handy for the vending machine or car park
- Paracetamol – If Rambo decides to get violent or wants to squeeze my hands as she is pushing, I may need some light pain relief.
- Toothbrush & Deodorant – We could be there a while, last thing I want to do is welcome my daughter to the world with breathe that will want her to dive back into the womb.
- Phone and Charger – Parents will want to bet kept posted so having a phone and charger to hand may be wise. Also, I may need to call my mother in law in order to take over if it gets a little too stressful.
- Ipad – Music, internet and a countless number of apps. A must for any occasion. May also get chance to write a great blog.
- Headphones – Block out the sound of Rambo talking or whining and boy can she talk a lot!. If you read this Rambo, only joking. I’ll take them so I can listen to music, obviously.
- Game Boy – Well, I’m not sure why I need a Game Boy. Perhaps I just wanted to show how I’m a cool hipster at heart.
- Camera – Selfies obviously! Any maybe I can snap some pics of my daughter on her first day in the world.
- Spare Clothes – From what I can tell, It looks very exhaustive for a dad! There is all the wiping sweat off Rambo’s brow and the breathing techniques. I could get smelly. Plus I want to have my best clothes on for pictures that will last a lifetime.
- Wallet – I’m not sure I can scrounge off the wife during labour. Better take my own wallet in case I see something on-line that I want.
- Book – I may want to look intellectual and pretend to read. There is only so much on-line shopping I can do in one day.
- Pillow – Apparently I’m not allowed to sleep so I cant pack one or put it in the list but for the record this was in the original survival kit.
Have I missed anything?
Here are some other links to help you decide what to pack?